Thursday, April 12, 2012

Love and Marriage in Paris




This car was parked on the street behind Notre Dame.


It was elaborately decorated for, what else, a wedding party.


However, there was no wedding party in sight.

The following Saturday, I was walking across the bridge behind Notre Dame, and down on a quai, right beside the Seine River, there was a stretch limo, a wedding party and a photographer taking photos of a bride and groom. I was thrilled to be there, camera in hand. This must be a very popular place for taking wedding photos, and it’s probably where the missing wedding party of the elaborately decorated car had been when I passed by the other day. The day was overcast, but that didn’t seem to matter. My first photos were from a distance because I doubted there was enough time to go down on the quai to take more pictures. I was wrong. The picture-taking went on and on, and the photographer had the bride and groom pose in a number of ways for quite a while.


The first photos were taken at a distance while I was on the bridge.


The bride and groom and photographers are by the Seine River.


The best man and maid of honor are waiting and watching.


The bride and groom by the Seine


The bride and groom in another pose by the Seine


A boat went by during the photography session, and the people on the boat cheered and waved at the wedding couple. You can see just the tip of the Ile de la Cite in the background.


The bride and groom are standing precariously on the bank of the Seine River. Watching them, I had concerns for their safety



Another boat went by in the other direction, and again, all eyes were on the wedding couple. By this time, I decided there was plenty of time to go down on the quai and take more photos. I didn’t want to be intrusive; I kept my distance, and they didn’t seem to mind.


A close-up of the wedding couple
She is a lovely young woman, and her dress has  tiers upon tiers of ruffles.


I wish them
" Félicitations pour votre mariage”
(Congratulations on your marriage)
 
On the day that we visited the Tuileries, we entered the garden by way of the Cour Napoleon of the Louvre. What great luck! Another wedding couple.


The bride and groom with I. M. Pei’s pyramid in the background


The bride and groom are walking in front of a glass triangle that acts as a skylight to the shopping plaza below the Cour Napoleon.


I send them
 “Tous mes voeux de bonheur”
(All my best wishes)



This time we were visiting the chateau in the town of Fontainebleau, and this bride and groom were standing in the street in front of the Chateau de Fontainebleau. Maybe her mother is giving her a last piece of advice.


The bride and groom crossing the street


I wish them
"Beaucoup de bonheur”
(Lots of happiness)


Once again, in the shadow of Notre Dame, a wedding couple was being photographed.


The wedding couple in front of the Love Locks. This has to be the most meaningful place in all of Paris to take a wedding photo. Here, young lovers vow eternal love, fasten a lock to the wire mesh railing of the bridge and then throw the key into the river.


The wedding couple and photographer


The bride and groom with Notre Dame in the background.
They will surely treasure this photo all the days of their lives.
I give them
 “Toutes mes félicitations pour votre journée de mariage”
(My congratulations on your wedding day)





















No comments:

Post a Comment