Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Paris Flower Market


The Flower Market on the Ile de la Cité is the oldest and one of the largest flower markets in Paris. It is open Monday through Saturday and is located on the banks of the Seine River. The market has everything from orchids to ornamental plants to the perfect flowers for your window box or terrace. There is not only a huge variety of flowers, but also the shopkeepers are happy to share their advice on how to keep your plants happy and healthy. On Sundays the Flower Market is joined by the Bird Market, and the sound of chirping from a great many birds leads you right to the spot.

The Flower Market on the street side before you enter the market proper

An Oleander bush ushers you into the flower pavilions.


The House of Orchids


A beautiful yellow orchid plant


Conditions are kept just right for these orchids. Walls of heavy plastic protect them from drafts of cold air, and they have light but not direct sunlight. I have repeatedly been told that orchids are not difficult to care for, but so far I haven‘t provided “just the right conditions,” so my orchid-growing attempts have been short-lived.

White Phalaeonopsis orchids in a basket


A row of plants, pots and garden accessories


Desert roses are easy to grow and need a minimum of care--they are my kind of plant. They also look beautiful in bloom. I have to keep reminding myself that it's fall here, so the blooming time for a lot of flowers is over.


A sidewalk display of Veronicas and chrysanthemums. These are seasonal plants for fall. I’m not familiar with the Veronicas, but they seem to be a very popular plant for this time of year because you can see many of them for sale in the market.


Lovely bouquets of cut flowers for sale


Ornamental outdoor plants of all kinds. Perfect for the terrace of your Parisian apartment!

Tall tree specimens

This is a Robellini palm--we have many in Florida, but I thought they needed a subtropical climate to survive. I guess not.


A lovely variety of potted plants for sale

There is even a Ficus Macrocarpa bonsai tree for sale for 270 euros ($370). I’m not an expert judge on the value of bonsai, but I do know that bonsai trees can cost in the thousands of dollars for a beautifully-styled, old-looking bonsai (the older, the better) in a handsome and proper bonsai pot.



I bought these plants at the Flower Market for the formerly neglected planters. The shopkeeper told me emphatically to water the plants “une fois par semaine!” It took a minute to sink in, but watering the plants “once a week “ was just fine with me. I chose plants that may not be the showiest, but they are pretty enough and do well with a minimum of care. Low maintenance plants are the best kinds of plants to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment